Week 5 Questions (Crossley)


Hall describes the impact of colonialism and his relationship with his mother, jamaica, and England as he came to understand the diasporic experience: "far enough away to experience the sense of exile and loss, close enough to understand the enigma of an always post-poned arrival." (Hall p. 489-491). He further describes alienation as articulation and the definition of a diasporic experience. His experience lives in the private sphere but is articulated in the public sphere. Colonization defines the relationship with the self, the colonized nation, and the colonizing nation as a public phenomenon.

Giroux writes "development of cultural politics is a crucial precondition for understanding the struggle over meaning, power and identities in public spheres such as public and higher education." (Giroux, p 343).  Meaning, power, and identity originate as ideas or articulations within the self and radiate outward.   The public gains meaning through private experience (i.e. colonialism, race, class, gender).  The similarity of experiences among the powerful creates the hegemony under which we live. Can we call this process of understanding that struggle, a kind of "intersectionality" of cultural politics?  If so, is this really a post-modern experience as Hall claims? (Hall 490) or a Marxian structuralism that hinges on intersectionality around class, demanding the private be understood through the public lens?  

I'm stuck on the idea of intersectionality colliding with this post-modern, post-colonial world.  And I'm not sure I'm articulating this well enough to make sense. The fragments are floating in my head but I can't clearly put them together.

Comments

Popular Posts