Week 6 Questions (Espinal)
Week 6 Questions: Knitting In-congruency: Articulation as Theory and Method
Articulation is a key concept for those interested in cultural theory or cultural studies. The readings helped me better understand my own motivations and research objectives. For example, my MA thesis focused on analyzing how cultural traits like music and dance are used as entertainment in tourism within the Garifuna community of Punta Gorda, Honduras. This research also made me more aware of the obstacles I encountered while working on it.
One key challenge was realizing that this specific practice was deeply interconnected with many other aspects of the broader context. I came to understand that a single paper would be insufficient to address all the crucial factors that lead people to commodify their culture. As Grossberg, Slack, and Hall explain, articulations are not independent; rather, they are inherently linked to others. I find this particularly relevant because, as researchers, we must establish the boundaries of our scope, whether working on a paper, a chapter, or a book.
With this, I find Slack’s concept of “re-articulations” particularly intriguing. Does this refer to shifts within previously discussed articulations? I would love to explore this idea further.
Comments
Post a Comment